KC & J Bo Family

PLANT SMILES, GROW GIGGLES, HARVEST LOVE

"All that is needed for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." Edmond Burkes


Monday, October 20, 2008

Unexpected Complications

Well life always seems to throw a curve ball at you when you are least expecting it. I got a call from my OB (Dr Spoon ~ who I love) nurse that my 1 hr glucose test (the one you drink the nasty 50 ml glucose orange drink & they draw blood) came back high. So could I come in tomorrow morning & take the 3 hour test. (Fast for 12 hours then draw blood, drink 100ml lemon lime drink, then for the next 3 hours take blood on the hour). I was a little irritated to be honest to have to take the test. I have known friends that had false positive from eating to much sugar the morning before the 1 hour test & thought that is what MUST have happened. Because I couldn't have it, right? I eat healthy, walk almost every day, haven't gained excessive weight. Well not so much...

So I get another call... I have gestational diabetes. They need to have me see a perinatologists (high risk OB) on their first available appointment. My response "Oh, great". So basically I get to be put on a very strict diet. Luckily I have some great friends that know about a diabetes diet so I have already started the diet & continue to exercise. Now I hope to get good news from the perinatologists on Tuesday when I go in. I have a feeling I will be going to the Dr, a lot.

Here are a couple of facts:
*4% of woman get gestational diabetes
*You can get it without any risk factors (like me) ~ risk factors include
  • Being overweight prior to becoming pregnant (if you are 20% or more over your ideal body weight).
  • Being a member of a high risk ethnic group (Hispanic, black, Native American, or Asian).
  • Having sugar in your urine.
  • Impaired glucose tolerance or impaired fasting glucose (blood sugar levels are high, but not high enough to be diabetes).
  • Family history of diabetes (if your parents or siblings have diabetes).
  • Previously giving birth to a baby over 9 pounds.
  • Previously giving birth to a stillborn baby.
  • Having gestational diabetes with a previous pregnancy.
  • Having too much amniotic fluid (a condition called polyhydramnios).
*3rd trimester complications can be large baby or small baby that fails to thrive
*My diet (until I have my appt & get specific guidelines)
*6 small meals every day ~ going no more than 3-4 hours apart
*30 gr of carbs + at least 12 gr protein + fiber ~ limiting fat
*No fruit juice
*Exercise ~ fast walk 1.5 miles every day if not twice a day (fast walk for being 8mths preggo) (I had been doing this before I found out so it should be fine to continue it)
*Stress can cause blood sugar to spike so try & reduce any stress I have (I am trying)
*They usually induce GD patients early (37 weeks) depending on how the baby is doing
*I will have a 60% chance of getting type 2 diabetes later in life
*I have a 40-50% chance of getting GD if we try & have another baby
*The insulin resistance is in the placenta so normally after delivery everything goes back to normal
*Babies born to moms with GD have a 30% chance of being obese as an adult (though the research shows if the mom controls the GD during pregnancy the risk is the same as a normal pregnancy)
* http://diabetes.webmd.com/guide/gestational_diabetes

When I first found out I felt so ashamed, like I had done something wrong. That somehow if I had exercised more, ate better food this wouldn't have happened. I am trying to get past that feeling, there is nothing I could have done to prevent this. It is just something that my body did. All I can do now is try and maintain so I have as little complications as possible. It is really scary to me to not be in control & to think my baby could be in danger. I am trying to have faith, do what I can to manage it, and put the rest in God's hands. So wish me luck & hopefully the Dr will have good news for me.
Here is a picture of our baby at 18 weeks sucking his/her thumb. I love you baby!

5 comments:

Shaul Family said...

I'm sorry. I went to the perinatologist too. Which Dr. are you going to? They are great and you'll get some dang cute ultrasound pics. I'm sorry though.

Elle said...

Thanks for the useful info. So sorry this happened to you. Glad you only have 7 weeks left. Wow, that went so fast!

Brandy said...

Oh man. I didn't realize GD was such an ordeal. I had heard that the diabetes usually goes away after you deliver but I didn't realize all that other stuff you've listed. We'll keep you in our prayers.

steph said...

Girl.. I just talked w/ you.. BUT I'm still commenting :)!
I love you!!! I'm sooo sorry.. but now like you said.... getting healthier.. is it all that bad? I'm here to help...esp. at Thanksgiving, hee,hee OD on turkey...hey it'z protein!

Lenny and Amanda said...

I am sorry to hear about the GD. Don't you jst love Dr. Spoon? He is so caring and efficient..All will work out. We will be praying for you.