KC & J Bo Family

PLANT SMILES, GROW GIGGLES, HARVEST LOVE

"All that is needed for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." Edmond Burkes


Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Adventures in Mexico

Day 3 ~ Puerto Vallarta ~
EXTREME CANOPY TOUR
We start the adventure by getting on a military type speed boat (inflatable around the edges) and go from the dock to a cove. On the way we were able to see some hump back whales, which are amazing and beautiful creatures. The driver was crazy and would hit some of the waves so hard that you caught air. Pretty fun stuff. Then we got on 1960's Swiss military troop transport trucks that took us up into the mountains. We were driving on a 1 lane road with a 100 drop on one side. The exciting part is when you would pass other vehicles and hold your breath to see if you were going to stay on the road while driving full speed. Wheee... At the base camp they were growing yucca plants to make into tequila. Lots of tequila. It was an unique sight. We met up with our guides, my favorite was Pablo. They helped you into your harness. (Funny story: before they pulled Casey's harness tight the Pablo told him, "Fix your sh#@, so it doesn't get squashed). Funny Mexican. Next they show you how to use the zip line in a 3 minute presentation. On to the mules. They were quite excited and kept trying to pass each other on the trail. It was nice because normally trail mules/horses are not very entertaining to ride.


Once you get to the top of the mountain you get to go for a hike, straight uphill the mountain. Cough, grown, etc... let's just say it kicked my butt but I make it. Once up the hill they finish tightening all your harness and you put your glove on. Then you hike up another hill and you reach the first zip line. I ended up being first in line. They had 2 ropes in case 1 failed (wow that helped with the confidence that they had once fail before). Then hooked me up and said, OK go. The first was about 100 ft across over a canyon about 30 ft down. You let your harness hold your weight, control your balance with your left hand (if you are right handed) and lean back with your right hand on the rope to control your speed and to stop you. Casey and I both did pretty good on the first time. If you slow down to much at the end you end up having to pull yourself the the last 5 feet so we were glad to not have to do that. Right after you head to the next zip line. Then after there is a 25 ft waterfall behind you and control repel to the belayer below (Control repel ~ the person below controls how fast you go by the tension on the rope.) You really had to trust them because they tell you to grab your harness rope with both hands. Then you are at the will of the belayer below to not let you smash into the 25 rock face behind him. Then you go down another zip line again.


The next zip line you stop in the pool of water at the bottom of the waterfall. So you grab both hands on your harness rope again and the guide stops you by putting weight on the rope to "dunk" you up to your chin in snow run off water to stop you. Refreshing and enough to make you gasp for breath. Next was a repel next to the face of the 75 ft waterfall. It was so amazingly beautiful. You were so close to the waterfall that the rocks were wet the entire way down. This one they had a safety rope in case you fell otherwise you just controlled your decent by walking down (looking at the rock) and keeping tension on the rope with your hand and a 8 repel gear. You ended landing in 2 feet of water at that waterfall. Then you walk over rope bridges with the guides shaking the bridges to make it even more fun. Next is the "Oh, my gosh I am going to pee my pants" free fall repel. You go to a 100 ft platform that puts you 20 feet from everything. I walk out (did I mention you sway with every step) and only 2 guides and 2 people are allowed at a time. Pablo asks me, "Do you want to go fast or super fast?" I respond trying to be brave, "Super Fast". Did I mention I didn't realize what that really meant? Basically you hang off and free fall for 65 ft before they slow your decent at the end. That was so scary (aka wanting to pee my pants) and exciting at the same time. It was the biggest rush and my favorite of the entire trip.


Then we did 2 more zip lines. The last had 2 zip lines next to each other 300 ft long and 100 ft above the canyon. Casey and I raced and he won. I decided to have a little fun and did no hands and spun a little. Pretty fun when you are 100 ft up and going pretty fast. We hiked the rest of the way back to camp and had some water, chips, salsa, apples, etc... then a van and boat ride back. It was 6 hours and worth every penny. The rest of the day we did a little window shopping and had a fajita dinner with a virgin strawberry daiquiri. So good. **We bought some pictures of the tour so when I get those I will post them**

Day 4 ~ Mazatlan ~
Massages & Pampering


Our friend Tasey suggested we get a massage in Mazatlan. So we went to a place that did 1 hour couple's massages for $25 each. It was awesome. Probably the best I have ever had. Plus it was fun to have one together. The only bad thing is I have a sinus infection so I couldn't breath out of my nose and all so I had to keep my mouth open which probably looked really dumb. oh well. Next we got a pedicure and manicure. Not the best I have ever had, but for $35 a person for both I can't complain to much. Now the excitement. We brought our American Express which they didn't accept. So we only had barely enough cash to pay the bill. Since we didn't have any other cash we couldn't buy any gift and had to walk back to the boat.


Day 5 ~ Cabo San Lucas ~
Shopping


We walked around and got gifts and had some wonderful Mexican nachos. I kept trying to find the best price and so we ended up not being able to go to the beach like we planned. Ooops. Casey was a pretty good sport considering we did shop for awhile and he had to barter since he speaks Spanish and I don't.


All in all it was an awesome trip and I would definitely do a cruise again. The kids did great with grandma. Paris keeps asking if grandma will be back next Sunday. The only downfall is the kids both have the flu. I was up all last night with vomiting kids. Not my idea of a good time. Good thing I love them a lot. =)



4 comments:

Ken said...

Wow. You are a lot more brave than I am. My paralyzing fear of heights would preclude me from doing anything like that. Still sounds like fun, though.

Anonymous said...

Dang Gina! You guys have had the time of your lives!! It sounds wonderful! And you guys ARE brave! Although I can't help but hear your scream in my head as you fly down the zip cord Jen! :) Way to have a great vacation!

LoraLoo said...

It looks and sounds like you guys had an amazing time! Like Ken, I'm marveling at how much more brave you are than I with some of those adventures. :)

Shaul Family said...

Looks like so much fun. How cool. I tried to call to get all the details, but your line has been busy everytime I call, so call me!!! I'm glad you had fun getting pampered. It was awesome.